Sunday, July 10, 2011

What's New in the Studio

Here's a look at what I'm currently working on: Freeform peyote bracelet. I'm pretty excited about this one. I got some bright pink/orange colored beads and paired them with some lime and matte yellow, luster sky blue, and black and silver of course.

This is my first attempt at a freeform necklace. It's a bib-style necklace but the mistake I made was to choose beads with different sizes so it's made the necklace bend in weird ways and I'm afraid I'll end up taking it apart and starting over again with more uniform beads. Trust me, this is HOURS of work I realize I'll waste.


This bead embroidery cuff has been a work in progress for quite awhile now. I just finished stitching around the edges but found that I have gaps now between the two parts. I'm taking inventory of what beads I have left in pink so I can fill that in.


If you don't mind I'd like to take a moment to vent. The ONLY stand alone bead store in Fort Wayne, Bead Source is NOT a great bead store. I've found that the seed beads she sells are not of the best quality. They are not uniform in size and I have to weed out many many beads. ALSO I've purchased small quantities of certain colors, such as the pink I used here and when she runs out of this color, she doesn't re-order it again. So now I've got an incomplete project with no way to get more of this color of beads to finish it! This has happened with several really great colors of seed beads and she doesn't have any more in stock AND didn't have that much in stock to begin with. So if you're living or visiting Fort Wayne and make a trip to her store, purchase with caution and with this knowledge.


I'm sure her other large beads and findings used for STRINGING beads are fine but a store that is exclusively for beads should offer quality beads of all sorts.


Ah, well I am about to be saved though because I got my Fire Mountain catalog in the mail and I am very excited to make my first purchase from there. I looked through it yesterday and marked things I wanted. Now I have to narrow down all the things to fit within my budget!


Last weekend I stopped by Creative Fish's Art Blast 2011 and LOVED IT! I know it wasn't a very large event but it was great. There were some really great artists there. One I particularly liked was Jennifer Black of Black Rock Design from South Bend. Please go look at her things. They are awesome! I bought a necklace from her and she's just so nice and had the best and most professional booth there. She has some great pendant necklaces and really cute earrings.





No comments:

Post a Comment